Energy Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) Deadline is Fast Approaching – Here’s What You Need to Know
Did you know that half of Toronto’s greenhouse gas emissions are generated from buildings? Improving their energy efficiency is key to achieving the City’s greenhouse gas emissions reduction target of 80% by 2050.
The Province of Ontario’s Energy & Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) regulation is designed to help building owners and managers improve their building’s energy and water efficiency.
Ontario Regulation 506/18, Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use (EWRB) requires Ontario building owners of commercial, industrial, multi-unit residential and other building types that are 50,000 square feet or larger are required to report their building’s energy and water consumption, and greenhouse gas emission data annually to the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines (ENDM).
Mandatory Reporting Deadlines
By July 1st, 2019 (for the 2018 calendar year):
- Commercial and industrial buildings 100,000 square feet and larger.
- Multi-unit residential buildings 100,000 square feet and larger.
By July 1st, 2020 (for the 2019 calendar year):
- Commercial and industrial buildings 50,000 square feet; and larger.
- Multi-unit residential buildings 50,000 square feet and larger.
Data Verification for Buildings Over 100,000 Square Feet
If your building is larger than 100,000 square feet, you must get the building’s energy use data verified by an accredited or certified professional in the first year that you have to report. You’ll have to get the data verified every five years after that, to make sure the information you report is reliable.
Great news! GreenCheck offers data verification services and can help make this process a breeze!
Call us at 416-640-2444, contact us using the form on this page for more information.
EWRB Reporting Process
EWRB reporting is completed using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, through the Ministry of Energy’s reporting portal. As a building owner, you will need to input the following information into Portfolio Manager:
- meter number(s)
- meter read start date
- meter read end date
- total usage (non-loss adjusted consumption)
- estimated read (Yes/No drop-down – yes means estimated)
You will need to request utility data from your utility company in advance in order to input this data into ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. The process for requesting data from utility companies varies, but generally takes up to an average of 4 weeks to process and deliver utility data. It is recommended to request this information sooner, rather than later. Please visit your utility company’s website for more information on requesting data:
- Enbridge Gas
- please email: Mark.Quattrociocchi@enwave.com
- Toronto Hydro
- Hydro Ottawa
- Brantford Power
- Oakville Hydro
- Burlington Hydro
- Whitby Hydro
EWRB 2019 Reporting Updates
- Prescribed properties are required to report even if they have less than 50% occupancy on average. This was originally included as an exemption in the Regulation.
- Building owners now have the option to report at the building level as an alternative to reporting at the property level. Building owners will need to provide information to ENDM on the size and use of the individual buildings so that ENDM can assign an EWRB number to each building.
For more information
Please visit ontario.ca/energyreporting for more information about the EWRB initiative. You may also contact The Ministry of Energy at EWRBSupport@ontario.ca.
If you have any questions, reach out to us at GreenCheck! Call us at 416-640-2444, or use the contact form on this page to get in touch. Thank you!
- O. Reg. 506/18: Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use