Ugly Sweater Day is today, February 6th. This event will be held at Epic properties across Canada to promote February’s theme of Energy Savings Through Heating. It’s a great opportunity to show off your favourite ugly sweater, proving to co-workers that we can all layer up instead of cranking up that thermostat.
RiskCheck/ContractorCheck will be offering a prize for the best ugly sweater and sharing those photos on our social pages, so keep an eye out for shots of our team in some ugly sweaters…remember, it’s for a good cause!
Some additional tips on saving energy through heating (both at home and the office) include:
- Wear several layers to the office to be able to adjust to the temperature on your own terms, especially in colder weather
- If the temperature needs to be adjusted in the office, please contact property management who can make adjustments in an energy efficient way
- At home, close off vents and shut doors to empty rooms to avoid heating un-used space
- Make sure vents are clean and unobstructed by carpets or furniture
- Check fan filters regularly, and replace as needed, to ensure that air flow is being maximized
- Use caulking or weather stripping to seal gaps on doors or windows that let heated air escape
- Install a programmable thermostat to avoid costly manual adjustments. Aim for 22°C in the day (when you’re home) and 18°C overnight (or when you’re not home)
For more information on ways to make your company more sustainable, please visit our GreenCheck page.